We are 2 days into 2017 and I’ve already got a lot of things planned for this year. 2016 was a great year and I tested myself by trying new distances like TRT 50 and Cuyamaca 100k. We traveled all over the place including a few new places, like Chamonix, France & Portland, OR.
What’s in store for 2017? And what do I want to accomplish?
First off, I’ve signed up for my first 100 mile race, San Diego 100 in June. Yes, I’ll be running 100 miles on June 9 – 10! I am so excited! And so nervous but more excited!
Here’s what is on the schedule for Jan – June (so far, I might look for one or two more short races)
January – Crew Sean at HURT100, Pasadena Half Marathon
February – Sean O’Brien 50k, Black Canyon 100k
March – Griffith Park 50k, LA Marathon
April – Gorge Waterfall 100k, The Canyon Endurance Runs 50k
May – PCT 50, Crew Sean at Cruel Jewel
June – San Diego Rock n’ Roll Half, San Diego 100
That means, I’ve got two half marathons, one full marathon, three 50ks, one 50 miler and two 100ks before the 100 miler = 315 race/training miles. The weekends when we are home I fully intend to be out in Cuyamaca/Julian/Cleveland National Forest to train on the race actual course.
Pretty much all my goals are geared towards getting me to the San Diego 100 finish line. And then after I’ve accomplished that, I have a few other things I want to work on, but the 100 mile finish line is the ultimate goal for the year.
Now that I’ve got that out of the way, what are some of my more specific goals?
- Always a big one for me, drink more water. I’m teaming up with an awesome company to help me reach this goal. I’ll share more about this in a coming blog post.
- Strength Training. Yes, I know I say this every year, but this year it’s more important than ever. I need to work on my glute strength & hip flexibility in edition to my core.
- Hill training, hill training, hill training. I am not a strong uphill runner so I definitely need to focus on this and getting faster at power hiking.
- At least one speed workout a week. When training for endurance, I tend run a lot of easy runs and while I don’t want to injure myself, pushing myself in at least one run a week isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
- Continue with my run streak. I started a run streak on November 20, I’m up to 43 days so I might as well keep it up and see what happens, right? :).
- I ran 1,589 miles/avg. 132.4 miles per month in 2016, I’m setting a goal of 2,000/avg. 166 miles per month for 2017. That’s a small increase over this year and with 100 mile training, I definitely things it’s doable.
- Continue to work on my long run nutrition, I love using CarboPro for the majority of my calories, but I’m hoping to incorporate more real food, like GoMacro bars, potatoes and experimenting with other things.
- Eat smaller more frequent meals. I used to follow a plan religiously, last year, I was pretty lazy, I stopped eating breakfast, started drinking too much coffee and not enough water. First order of business, start eating breakfast and healthy snacks.
- Eat more vegetables. I’m not a huge fan of cold food, except ice cream, Jamba Juice Smoothies and popsicles of course lol. I have a hard time choosing a salad over something hot, but I will start to do so.
- After SD100 I definitely want to work on my speed on both the trail and road. I’m targeting the November Revel Canyon City Marathon for a new marathon PR.
That’s a lot of things, most of which I should be doing already, but sometimes you need a little push to get back to basics. Basically it’s time to get comfortable being uncomfortable!
And away we go! Let’s do this!
What are your goals for 2017?