It’s been months since I’ve even come on here. 2017 was an interesting year. It started out continuing on the high from 2016 and then my hamstring tendonitis brought my year to a halt. After taking a little break, I lost my run motivation and got into a bit of a funk.
I wanted to recap how things went as far as my goals for the year. Most of them were put to the wayside with my injury, but I’m interested to see if I achieved any of the others.
- Drinking more water is always a goal, I think I did ok on this but it’s always a work in progress.
- Strength Training – I did work on this a lot this year and with the help of Crystal Seaver I think I really did well on this one, once I got the go ahead from PT.
- Hill Training – This one didn’t really happen. My injury meant that it was painful climbing so I didn’t do nearly as much as I would have liked.
- Speed work – Again, my injury was aggravated by speed so that kind of went to the way side as well. I have done a few speedier workouts in the last month or so and felt decent.
- Run streak – That was dropped around 140 days and it might work for Sean and other runner streakers, but running every day doesn’t work for me or my hamstrings. I won’t be starting another one.
- Mileage: I wanted to run 2,000 miles in 2017 and I fell very short, I only got about 1,150 for 2017. With my injury and my lack of motivation, I had a hard time getting myself out the door.
- Long Run Nutrition – Still a work in progress. I have found that I really like a mix of Skratch Labs & Carbo Pro. I’m still working on this and since I didn’t do a lot of long runs this year, I didn’t really have much time to practice ;).
- Eat smaller meals – I don’t know that I succeeded at this, but after a lot of bloating and stomach pain this year, I finally in November made the decision that something needed to change. I’ve been transitioning to a vegan diet, specifically eliminating all dairy & eggs from my diet. It’s been helping a lot and I’m looking forward to keeping it up in 2018.
- Eat More Vegetables – This I did work on a lot. I still don’t love salad, but I’m working on it.
- A speedy marathon – Yeah, this didn’t happen, although I am really happy that I had 2 decent races at SF Marathon & then in Chicago with barely any training. Not recommended but it worked for me.
Even though 2017 didn’t go exactly as planned, it wasn’t all bad. I still managed to run or walk 15 races, a 10k, a 30k, a 35k, 5 Half Marathons, 4 Marathons & 3 50ks. I volunteered at a bunch of races in the spring & summer.
I supported Sean at a bunch of races this summer including his “perfect” race at Tahoe 200 that resulted in a course record & huge course PR for him.
I went to Maine, on my first trip to the Northeast, for a fabulous retreat & met a bunch of amazing women. We adventured around Vancouver & Kauai and spent a lot of time out on trails. All in all, even though it wasn’t the year I wanted, it was a pretty incredible year.
What were the highlights of your 2017? Did you achieve your goals?