What a year! It’s amazing how fast time goes by, I feel like this year just flew by.
I’ve had a fabulous year, running and traveling all over. I’ve had a blast sharing our adventures with you all and I look forward to some new adventures in 2017.
So let’s recap what happened this year…
March – I ran the San Diego Half for the first time and then the next weekend, I had my first double race weekend, with Old West 50k on Saturday & the Hot Chocolate 15k on Sunday. This weekend was key in getting my ultra running confidence back.
April – April was the first month we race every weekend. Starting it off with Carlsbad 5000 where we got to see some speedy elites battle it out for cash & prizes. Then mudageddon in Zion before going back to Leona Divide and finishing the month up with the oh so hilly La Jolla Half.
June – June started off with a double race weekend crewing Sean at SD100 before running Rock n’Roll SD. We headed to Vail Lake for the SoCal Women’s Wine Country Half where Sean volunteered while I ran. And for my birthday, we took my first trip to Portland where I came really close to PRing the marathon at VUM.
July – July started with a trip up to Santa Barbara for a very HOT SB100. Then we were off to Tahoe for TRT 50/100. I got my first mountain 50 finish and didn’t have any issues with elevation! A last minute decision had us running the SF Marathon while visiting family to close out the month & celebrate our first anniversary.
August – I amazingly had no races in August. I crewed Sean at AC100 at the beginning of the month before we headed over the pond for him to run UTMB.
September – September was crewing and pacing at Tahoe 200 before a last minute trip to Big Bear to run/hike the Kodiak Back 50k.
October – October started with a bang and the Cuyamaca 100k! We headed to Italy for the second time after I WON a trip to the Venice Marathon from the LA Marathon and I finally PR’d the marathon by 4 minutes! The whirlwind month ended in Phoenix crewing Sean at Javelina.
Race Stats: 100k, 2 – 50 milers, 3 – 50k’s, 7 marathons, 9 half marathons, and one each 25k, 15k, 10k, 5k for a total of 26 races this year.
As of today I was at 1,568 miles for the year, my highest mileage year yet – August had the lowest monthly mileage with 98.6 (because of the back issues I was experiencing) and May was my highest monthly mileage ever with 175.5.
Now how did I do with my 2016 goals?
- PR the marathon – YES!!! Finally! I had a slow start, but I ended up with a PR at Venice Marathon and 4 out of the 7 marathons were under 5 hours, which made me really happy!
- Really train – For the first half of the year, we trained a lot. I had the back injury at the end of July that derailed me a bit.
- Run in at least one new place. We went to Tampa, Zion National Park, Portland, Chamonix – Mont Blanc, Santa Barbara & Sacramento
- Run at least one new distance this year…I ran 2 new distances, 50 miles & 100k
- Keep up with the Winter Strength Challenge – yeah, this went until Valentine’s Day and then died off
- Be more timely with writing my race recaps on the blog – ummmm….no comment lol
- Write at least 2 blog posts a week – I tried 😉
- Drink more WATER!!! Still a work in progress
Did you achieve your goals in 2016? And if not, what do you need to work on? Me, being consistent with my recaps & I definitely need to drink more water ;).